Jul 4, 2023
AUSTRALIAN-OWNED MARTINUS AWARDED SECOND INLAND RAIL MAJOR CONTRACT
Martinus, an Australian-owned railway infrastructure leader, has been appointed to deliver the $400+ million-dollar Inland Rail - Albury to Parkes Enhancement Projects.
This critical section of the Inland Rail project will be delivered across two major packages which includes commencement of site works between Stockinbingal to Parkes in August 2023 and commencement of construction works on the Albury to Illabo section next year.
As Principal Contractor, Martinus has begun detailed design and planning works for both sections which will see the delivery of track upgrades, construction of new bridges and signalling upgrades along the rail corridor to eventually accommodate double-stacked freight trains which will assist in reducing truck volumes in more than 20 regional towns along with easing congestion on some of Australia’s busiest highways.
The project will bring substantial benefits to local communities, with an estimated $200 million to be spent with local businesses and the employment of the local community as part of the expected peak workforce of 450.
As Australia’s biggest railway builder and maintainer, supported by the largest fleet of railway construction and maintenance plant and equipment and powered by a 1500-strong workforce of passionate and driven rail-experts, Martinus is ready to deliver for Australian businesses and for Australia’s future.
Recognising the significance of a robust Australian railway industry, Martinus has formed strategic partnerships with leading Australian-owned businesses, including Aurecon, BG&E, Arenco, Omada, and Horizon United, who will all play a vital role in the successful delivery of this project.
Martinus is committed to supporting and developing the next generation of the rail industry and will use this project to continue to invest in apprentices, trainees or paid cadet positions for this project and beyond.
Quotes attributable to Martinus COO, Ryan Baden
“This is an incredibly exciting time for the business and our people. A huge congrats to the team on winning this project, the Martinus team have created some fantastic design solutions which will leave long term benefits for these regional communities.
"This key infrastructure project will enable us to further invest in our people and their futures. Long term, it secures our vision of providing abundant opportunities for training and upskilling to address the skill-shortage across the industry and future-proof our business.
“As an Australian owned and operated business, we want to thank Inland Rail for entrusting us to undertake these works with the support from the local community. We look forward to celebrating many project milestones together over the next few years.”
About Inland Rail
Inland Rail will connect Melbourne and Brisbane via regional Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. Following the recently published Schott Report, the Federal government announced its support for the Report’s recommendation to prioritise delivery of the rail corridor from outside Melbourne to Parkes in New South Wales by 2027, which includes the Albury to Parkes Enhancements Project. This stretch of rail will then enable the link to the east-west coast corridor, thereby enabling revenue generating operations to commence from 2027.
When finished, Inland Rail will stretch more than 1,700km, transforming how goods are moved around Australia by providing transit times of less than 24 hours between Melbourne and Brisbane.
When complete Inland Rail will help bring producers, farmers, and businesses closer to national and global markets along with also reducing reliance on road freight.
ALBURY TO PARKES – BACKGROUND INFORMATION
- Project awarded in July 2023 and is scheduled for completion in 2026
- Martinus will deliver the entire Albury to Parkes Enhancements project which is split into two sections:
- Albury to Illabo is 185 km and is broken up into 20 separate construction sites
- Stockinbingal to Parkes is 170 km and is broken up into nine separate construction sites.
- Martinus is an Australian owned, industry leading, full-service railway infrastructure company that builds and maintains large scale railways and intermodals across Australia, New Zealand, USA and Chile along with select projects in other countries around the globe.
- Martinus has the in-house capability for full turnkey project development from feasibility and operational transformation, engineering management, through to project management, construction management, and seamless integration.
- The company was started 18 years ago by CEO Treaven Martinus and has now grown to employ more than 1500 rail specialists and can operate under a self-delivery model while also having access to Australia’s largest in-house rail infrastructure plant and equipment.
- Martinus has successfully delivered or is delivering multiple complex projects including Inland Rail’s Rail Corridor Program in Regional NSW and Regional Queensland, Forrestfield Airport Link in Perth, Western Australia, Moorebank’s Interstate Intermodal Terminal in New South Wales and Level Crossing Upgrades in Victoria as part of the Warrnambool Line Upgrade.